AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips (Week of March 5, 2018): Donor Identity, More on Newsletters, Getting Email Signups, & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. Is This Your Calling? (The Veritus Group): Successful fundraisers ARE successful because their work is not a job. It’s not something they do for a paycheck. For them, it’s a calling.
2. The Inclusive Fundraiser: Representation Matters! (Hilborn): When we can see fair and well-rounded representations of ourselves on a screen, in the pages of a book or magazine, or in the headlines of the news, we get a message: We are valued. Our stories are valued. Our contributions to society are valued.
3. Your Newsletter: What to Leave Out (The Better Fundraising Co.): Will any one of these things kill your response and drive donors away? No. But if you want to make a newsletter that more donors will read, and help you get future donations, you’ll eliminate as many of these as you can.
4. Donor-Centric or Faux Donor-Centric? Check the Plumbing. (The Agitator): When it comes to donor-centricity/obsession/love/devotion/passion, many fundraisers talk a good game while ignoring the fundamental and routine practices that should exist in any organization that truly cares about its donors. Here’s how to check your organization.
5. SOFII’s Lightbulb Moments - Latest Videos (SOFII): Short videos on amazing donor experiences, how to know you’re making progress, how to look at investing in fundraising, and listening to (and learning from) donors.
6. Two Amazing Secrets -- No, Make That 14 Astounding Secrets to Getting More Email Signups (Future Fundraising Now): Insightful data on email acquisitions and tips on improving your email signup page.
7. Could Donor Identity Revolutionize Your Fundraising? (Fired Up Fundraising): When you segment by gift size – you are not including the kind of information that really turns your donor on. You’re missing a huge opportunity for donor-centered communication. You’re not acting on Donor Identity.
8. Why Your Non-Profit Needs to Start a Peer to Peer Fundraising Campaign (Sumac): Giving is social and it is often our social ties that prompt us to take action. There is also a trust component. When an appeal for help, including funds, comes from someone in our networks that we trust, we are more likely to respond.
9. Board Members and Capital Campaign Solicitations: Do They Really Go Together? (Bloomerang): There are several ways to conduct successful campaigns. Not all require the process of setting up planning committees, volunteer chairs and regular meetings. What they do require is a sound plan with the fundamentals addressed.
10. Five Ways to Use Donor Data to Segment your Email List (John Haydon): One of the best ways to personalize your correspondence to donors is to segment your existing donor data. By grouping donors into similar groups, you can receive better responses and more donations down the line.