Vice President of DevelopmentCompany: Planned Parenthood of the St Louis Region and Southwest Missouri
Date Posted: January 4, 2018
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF THE ST. LOUIS REGION AND SOUTHWEST MISSOURI
Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri has been the leading provider, educator, and protector of sexual and reproductive healthcare in the area for more than 85 years. This organization currently operates eight health centers, located in the St. Louis metropolitan area and Southwest Missouri, and one outpatient surgery center in St. Louis. With a total staff of 160, an annual operating budget of $10M and a dedicated Board, PPSLRSWMO is one of the most respected organizations in public health and medical circles.
This position is located in the city of St. Louis, a beautiful Midwestern city with low cost of living, wonderful parks and recreation, including the largest free zoo in the country, and welcoming neighborhoods. Consistently ranked among the best places to live, St. Louis is flush with good food, good music, sports and cultural events, and some of the friendliest people in the country.
POSITION TITLE: Vice President of Development
STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
REPORTS TO: President and CEO
Responsible for all activities related to Development for Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri and affiliated corporations. This position heads a team of development professionals overseeing initiatives and strategic plans for the comprehensive fund development program. This position is the primary contact and works closely with the President and CEO, Board, and Board/volunteer Development Committee to achieve the organizations fund development efforts and results. The VP acts as a primary solicitor of major gifts in partnership with the President and CEO, Board Chair and other Board Leadership. This position may fulfill the cell phone reimbursement policy requirements.
PRIMARY DUTIES PERFORMED
Provide staff leadership to the Board and Board/volunteer Sub-Committees and their respective chairpersons. Provide leadership in the creation, monitoring and accomplishment of the affiliate’s fund raising goals. Provide leadership and assistance in the creation, monitoring, and accomplishment of Committee’s annual and long-range goals and committee activities.
Direct department annual and long-range goals, objectives, work activities, projects, timelines and budgets. Monitor implementation of plans and adjust as required. Coordinate activities of department with interrelated activities of other departments to ensure optimum effectiveness, teamwork, collaboration, efficiency and economy. Prepare and present monthly reports and records of department activities to the CEO and Board.
Manage and participate actively in the professional development, coaching, and motivating of department staff. Conduct employee performance appraisals. Delegate department responsibilities appropriately but continue to provide supervision, guidance and oversight of projects. Motivate and lead staff in accomplishing individuals, departments, and organizational wide goals.
Participate actively and positively on senior management team. Participate actively and positively in the long-range strategic planning process of the organization and in intra- and inter-departmental collaboration and teamwork.
Cultivate, solicit and secure major gifts from individuals and foundations and ensure a system of solicitors to achieve maximum optimization. Prepare major donor reports and solicitation guides. Manage all major donor activities including annual Board solicitations and follow-up.
Supervise Director of Development, Development Officer(s) and Event Coordinator staff.
RISK MANAGEMENT AND QUALITY ASSURANCE:
Establishes and assures compliance with organizational policies that:
Ensure the provision of the highest quality and most professional service deliver to all Planned Parenthood clients;
- Protect Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri assets from liability;
- Ensure the physical safety of Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri clients, staff and volunteers;
- Protects confidentiality of all Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri clients, donors, Board and all areas of operation;
- Follow HIPAA privacy and security guidelines.
- Qualified applicants will have a minimum of 5 years in fund development, communications and management experience,
- A baccalaureate degree or commensurate experience is required; master degree and Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification preferred.
- Confidence in public speaking.
- Will be knowledgeable or have a strong understanding of the specific challenges facing health care organizations.
- Ability to develop collaborative and effective relationships with peers, President and CEO, Board, Board/volunteer Committees.
- Will be proficient in English, being Bi-lingual is a plus.
· Discretion and the ability to maintain strict confidentially.
· Outstanding organizational and analytical skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including ability to facilitate committee work, and develop teams.
· Exceptional time management skills.
· Travel including attending local, and national meetings, and regular travel throughout the organization’s territory to meet with current and prospective stakeholders.
· A highly motivated, creative individual, who can prioritize and direct a wide range of activities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated leadership in maintaining positive employee relations.
- Strong commitment to the mission, goals and values of Planned Parenthood and the ability to communicate those goals and agency values to employees, volunteers, applicants and donors.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents, including fundraising laws and regulations. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or Board of Directors. Excellent written communication skills, phone and computer skills.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to monitor budget and to prepare annual Development department budget.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Confidentiality is required. Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and responsibilities and requests. Ability to prioritize and meet objectives. Ability to function in a high energy and high productivity environment.
PPSLRSWMO is an equal opportunity employer.
If interested in applying, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com