Major Gifts Director
Date Posted: September 26, 2017
POSITION TITLE: Major Gifts Director
REPORTING TO: Chief Development Officer
Senior Development Director
LOCATION: Southern Illinois and Southeastern Missouri
THE COMPANY: Greater St. Louis Area Council
The Greater St. Louis Area Council, Boy Scouts of America is currently seeking a dynamic, innovative and driven professional for a Major Gifts Director position. This new position has been created for cultivating relationships in southern Illinois and southeastern Missouri to raise funds in support of our organization’s goals.
Working closely with the Council’s development team, the Major Gifts Director will be responsible for developing personal relationships with major prospects, donors, Executive Board members and supporters of Scouting in the southern Illinois and southeastern Missouri areas, developing strategies to strengthen ties between these individuals and the local Scouting program along with helping to solicit and close major gifts from these individuals.
The Greater St. Louis Area Council supports the mission, values and programs of the local Boy Scouts of America program.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The primary responsibilities of the Major Gifts Director are to:
• Build long-term relationships with philanthropic donors and deeply engage them to maximize their gifts to Scouting over their lifetimes.
- Serve as a frontline fund raiser responsible for creating and implementing fund development efforts to achieve goals related to securing major gifts.
- Use an organized donor tracking system to identify, qualify, cultivate, and manage contacts with individual prospects.
- Take responsibility for correspondence and contacts.
- Establish and strengthen relationships with individuals with the capacity to make major gifts (operating, capital and endowment) along with the ability to close these gifts.
- Identify and sell corporate sponsorships for local Scouting events.
- Must be willing to travel for events, meetings and donor-related activities.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS REQUIRED:
The qualified candidate must have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college and at least five years of experience in donor development, sales, business development or a similar field. Local travel is required for this position. Knowledge of the area’s philanthropic market is preferred.
In addition to these qualifications, the ideal candidate should have a minimum of three years of major gifts fundraising work which includes responsibilities for building relationships with individuals or equivalent experience in providing significant levels of client or donor contacts and experience in soliciting along with closing major, leadership level gifts. S/he is someone who has demonstrated an ability to take initiative in planning, organizing, and effectively presenting ideas and concepts, possesses the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and problem solve quickly as well as work independently and on a team.
The successful candidate should be able to work in an environment where teamwork, professional respect, and personal ethics and character are the foundation for achievement. S/he should have an understanding and appreciation for Scouting, its importance and impact. The successful candidate should be a self-starter with the ability to take initiative and demonstrate excellent communication skills.
• Excellent communication skills - written, oral, presentation skills. Can speak from the heart.
• Demonstrates good listening skills.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to drive initiatives to closure.
• Displays confidence.
• Demonstrates enthusiasm about projects being worked on.
• Establishes collaborative working relationships.
• Open to coaching and taking direction.
• Demonstrates high level of integrity.
• Passionate about the Scouting mission.
• Able to give focused attention to donors.
• High energy level, which translates to enthusiasm on the job.
• Must be a self-starter.
Competitive salary commensurate with skills and experience.
All inquiries should be directed to:
Senior Development Director