Development DirectorCompany: Metro Theater Company
Date Posted: May 18, 2017
METRO THEATER COMPANY
POSITION: DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
STATUS: Full time Annual REPORTS TO: Managing Director
BROAD FUNCTION: Participate as a key member of the leadership team in support of the mission and strategic plans of Metro Theater Company. Plan and implement fund-raising strategies to identify and increase sources of contributed income. Lead development activities including major gifts program, annual fund appeals, grants, special events, and all related donor cultivation, record-keeping and stewardship. Serve as an advocate for the value of Metro Theater Company in the St. Louis community and beyond.
• Create and execute annual and multi-year fund-raising plans in support of Metro Theater Company’s mission and programs, in collaboration with the Managing Director. Take part in annual and quarterly planning discussions with the Managing and Artistic Directors to support the organization’s vision and goals; collaborate with leadership team to refine short-term and long-term strategies for success.
• Set and align efforts to meet annual contributed income goals. Participate in budget preparation for development-related income and expense lines, and provide regular budget oversight of those line items.
• Work closely with the board of directors to nurture board-facilitated fundraising and board donations to the annual fund.
• Manage individual major gift ($1,000 or more) strategy, cultivation and solicitation, in close collaboration from the Managing and Artistic Directors. Develop process to enhance and strengthen annual giving habits for major donors, and engage members of the Carol North and Nichols Kryah Society.
• Lead and direct a systematic cycle of appeals for donations to annual operations.
• Maintain timely and accurate systems for receiving, recording and acknowledging all contributions.
• Maintain calendar of relevant grant deadlines, and prepare proposals to public funding agencies, corporations and foundations, as consistent with guidelines, and with involvement from Managing Director and Artistic Director as appropriate. Produce and submit proposals in a timely fashion, and track status of pending proposals. When funds are forthcoming, take the lead in ensuring adherence to any guidelines provided by the funding source, as well as preparing and submitting any required interim and/or final reports.
• Lead board and non-board volunteers, in collaboration with the Managing and Artistic Directors, to plan and implement fundraising events and special initiatives.
• Research prospective donors – individuals, corporations and foundations – and establish reliable records about new potential sources for contributed income.
• Represent Metro Theater Company at funder-related gatherings, public events and other cultivation opportunities.
• Conduct systematic analysis to assess success of efforts, and refine processes as necessary. Track relevant local and national trends as they relate to raising funds for Metro Theater Company.
• On behalf of the organization, maintain orderly record of contact with donors, including individuals, public funding agencies, corporations and foundations. Update information to keep database current, as necessary, and maintain all related physical and computer files.
• Manage contracted grant writers, development interns, volunteers, and other contracted development consultants as necessary.
• Respect, understanding, appreciation, and enthusiasm for the work of Metro Theater Company, specifically, and for the value of the arts and arts in education and youth development generally
• Effective communication skills, including excellent phone manner, listening and solid writing skills
• Leadership qualities, a strong sense of diplomacy, and a proven track record of working effectively with all kinds of people
• Healthy approach to funding challenges and obstacles, and ability to lead team with positive attitude and pro-active strategies to same
• Excellent organizational skills, including record keeping
• Ability to show initiative and work independently
• Strong sense of team and willingness to work collaboratively
• Ability and willingness to think and work creatively, analytically and proactively
• Comfort with multi-tasking, balancing multiple areas of responsibility
• Ability to set and appropriately shift priorities, as needed
• Sense of humor
• Ability to learn and work effectively with Patron Manager, a web-based relationship management system
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs
• Knowledge of and/or networks in the St. Louis community highly preferable
• Candidates with previous experience in fund raising, or relevant transferrable experience, favored
• Willingness to participate in ongoing professional development in fundraising
Please e-mail resume with cover letter, references, and salary history to: email@example.com, subject line: Development Director.
No phone calls please.