President / CEOCompany: Jefferson Foundation
Date Posted: April 30, 2017
The Jefferson Foundation is a health conversion foundation that was created in January of 2013 from the proceeds of the sale of the Jefferson Regional Medical Center in Crystal City, Missouri. Current assets of the Foundation exceed $150 million.
The mission of the Jefferson Foundation is to provide support for charitable and educational activities that promote individual and community health and well-being in Jefferson County, Missouri. The Foundation was established to be perpetual by design. Because of the structure of the organization, no fundraising is required.
Since its formation, Jefferson Foundation has distributed more than $7 million in grants annually to qualified public charities and government entities, thereby benefiting residents of Jefferson County, Missouri.
The President/CEO of the Jefferson Foundation reports to the Foundation Board of Directors and is responsible for leading the organization in conducting the business of the Foundation, primarily grant making.
- Work with the Board of Directors to fulfill the mission of the Jefferson Foundation.
- Responsible for communicating with the Board of Directors, providing information necessary for the Board to function effectively and make informed decisions.
Financial oversight in managing Foundation assets:
- Supervise the investment activities of the Foundation; work with investment firms and oversee investment strategies.
- Monitor and supervise all expenditures and grant making activities.
- Maintain and grow the assets of the Foundation.
- Oversee and monitor activities of the Foundation to ensure the organization’s objectives are accomplished.
- Direct Foundation initiatives, including providing leadership and vision for its grant making endeavors.
- Continue to build public understanding and support for the Jefferson Foundation and its work in the community.
- Represent the Foundation in the local community, enhancing its image.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Five or more years of experience working in the nonprofit sector, preferably in a private grant-making foundation.
- Experience and skill in partnering with and working effectively with a Board of Directors.
- The ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic direction to staff, Board, and community partners.
- Transparent and high-integrity leadership.
- Knowledge of the Jefferson County community is desired.
- The diplomatic skills to build and navigate relationships among the Foundation’s constituencies.
- Strong management abilities to gain the trust and respect of a talented, highly-effective staff to form a unified team.
- Comfort and knowledge with supervising the investment activities of the Foundation. This person does not need a financial background per se, but must be able to understand investment strategies and work effectively with investment firms.
- A social service or similar background to understand and address the current issues facing Jefferson County residents.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the Foundation office.
- Provide the necessary vision and leadership to the Board and staff regarding the future growth of the Foundation.
- Work with the Board to review the Foundation’s mission and guidelines and engage in periodic strategic planning.
- Maintain regular communications with the Board and carry out policies established by the Board.
- Motivate, guide, direct, and inspire a staff of professionals in fulfilling the mission and carrying out the work of the Jefferson Foundation.
- Maintain and grow the assets of the Foundation.
- Maintain the operational integrity of the Foundation. As part of this, manage organizational spending and monitor budget compliance. Ensure the annual payout requirement is met.
- Be informed about and ensure compliance with all legal and fiduciary requirements that apply to private foundations. Communicate with IRS and other regulatory authorities as needed.
- Represent the Foundation in the local philanthropic and nonprofit communities.
- Be knowledgeable about community and national issues and trends that impact the work of the Foundation and share this knowledge with the Board and staff.
- Provide strategic direction for the grant making program. Oversee all grant making activities.
- Assist the Board in the development of grant making initiatives.
- Hire, train and supervise staff.
- Develop and monitor an annual expense budget that is within reasonable and necessary limits, as determined by the IRS.
- Present a monthly statement of operating expenses to the Board.
- Act as a liaison between the Board and the investment advisor, bank custodian, accountant auditor, and other contracted service providers.
- Oversee the post transaction activities associated with the “sale” of Jefferson Regional Medical Center to Mercy Health.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Comprehensive benefits package including excellent 401k plan, health, Long Term Disability, and Paid Time Off.
Submit resume and cover letter to Terrill Petri, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW